FAIRMONT — It was the first real test of the season for the Bluejays football team this past Friday as they traveled to Fairmont to face off against the Cardinals where they lost 20-14.

“Offensively I thought we played pretty well upfront. We just need to get more experienced and more balance in our passing game. Defensively we gave up way more yards on the ground than we anticipated. Obviously Fairmont deserves some credit for that. Overall, we lost the turnover battle and the special teams battle. We’re excited to get back to practice and work on improving things,” coach Brad Wendland said.

Waseca struck the scoreboard first when Blake Wendland found the end zone after a two-yard touchdown run with 41 seconds left in the first quarter. Coach Brad Wendland decided to go for the two-point conversion and converted successfully after quarterback Ryan Dufault completed a pass to Shaun Hulscher. That would be the last time Waseca found the end zone until late in the fourth quarter.

The Bluejays held Fairmont scoreless in the first quarter but they found their stride in the second quarter after a nine yard touchdown pass with 8:55 left in the second quarter. They did not stop there and scored five minutes later on a three yard touchdown pass to take a 14-8 lead going into the half.

“I thought we did pretty well running the ball, just ground and pound. Our offensive line did their thing and gave us good holes to run. We didn’t do very well finishing drives and we did’t throw the ball as well as we wanted too and ultimately we defeated ourselves with turnovers and penalties that we’ll look to eliminate going forward,” captain Denver Daniel said.

The Bluejays totaled 289 yards and 16 first downs but struggled to put points points on the board through the second and third quarter. Fairmont finished with 205 yards of total offense and 10 first downs.

Denver Daniel helped tie the game at 14 apiece after a three-yard touchdown run with 6:37 left in the 4th quarter but Waseca failed to convert the two-point conversion after a bad snap. Fairmont began to drive down the field and after four minutes they were knocking on the Bluejays door. The Cardinals were able to punch in a one-yard touchdown run to take the lead with two minutes remaining and went up 20-14 after missing the PAT which ultimately sealed the win for Fairmont.

The team is now 2-1 following this loss and will look to rebound this Friday as they travel to Jordan where they are set to play at 7 p.m.

Reach Sports reporter Shafin Khan at 507-835-4283.

©Copyright 2019 APG Media of Southern Minnesota. All rights reserved.

Load comments