<&firstgraph>WASECA — A Waseca man, reportedly high on meth and hallucinating, possibly from psychedelic mushrooms police found in his home after a six-hour standoff Monday night with area law enforcement, has been charged with eight felonies.

<&firstgraph>According to Waseca County court records. Waseca police responded to a home in the 500 block of Seventh Avenue SE at about 6:30 p.m. following a report of a man with a gun.

<&firstgraph>The caller alleged that the man, later identified as David Michael Huff, 39, had been using methamphetamine for several days, was hallucinating and afraid that people were out to get him. The complainant, who was able to leave the home, also reported that Huff fired the gun twice inside the home

<&firstgraph>Waseca officers, as well as officers from the Waseca County Sheriff’s Office, and the New Richland and Janesville Police departments also responded to the incident. SWAT teams from the South Central Drug Investigative Unit and the Minnesota River Valley task forces were later called in to help remove Huff from the home.

<&firstgraph>After several hours of negotiations, Huff left the residence shortly before 11:30 p.m. A search warrant for the home was executed; officers reportedly found a handgun, shotgun, ammunition, methamphetamine, psilocybin mushrooms and other controlled substances.

<&firstgraph>Huff appeared in court Wednesday morning. He’s been charged with two counts of third-degree drug possession, two counts of fifth-degree drug possession, two counts of illegal possession of a firearm, illegal possession of ammunition and intentional discharge of a firearm.

<&firstgraph>Judge Carol Hanks set bail at $50,000 with conditions and $40,000 with no conditions. As of Thursday morning, Huff remained in the county jail

<&firstgraph>Huff has a lengthy criminal history that includes drug possession, fleeing a police officer, assault, domestic assault and obstruction of the legal process.

<&firstgraph>His most recent brush with the law involved allegations he tried to help a friend who was armed and barricaded inside a Mower County home, and engaged in what eventually became an 11-hour standoff with police.

<&firstgraph>During the December 2016 ordeal, Huff approached the home where his friend was holed up. Officers had to stop him using lights and the horn of an unmarked squad car. Huff, who had children in his car, told police he was a friend of the man involved in the incident.

<&firstgraph>He was convicted in March 2017 on a misdemeanor, aiding an offender, and sentenced to a stayed term of 90 days in jail and a year of probation. A felony for aiding an offender and three gross misdemeanor charges for child endangerment were dismissed.

<&firstgraph>A warrant for his arrest for failing to appear in court was issued in July, according to Minnesota Court records.

<&firstgraph>The Monday incident follows a Jan. 6 shooting just a few blocks from where an armed suspect reportedly shot at police, critically injuring Waseca Police Officer Arik Matson. Matson, who spent several weeks in a metro hospital, has been transferred to a rehab facility. Earlier this month, it was reported that Matson, who was shot in the head, is saying a few words and walking with assistance from his therapists.

<&firstgraph>Huff’s next court appearance is set for March 5.

Reach Regional Managing Editor Suzanne Rook at 507-333-3134. Follow her on Twitter @rooksuzy. ©Copyright 2020 APG Media of Southern Minnesota. All rights reserved.

Load comments