BECKER — Blooming Prairie’s Kollyn Alwes polished off a solid opening round at the Class A state golf competition with an 11-over-par 83 at Pebble Creek Golf Course in Becker.
The sophomore bagged a 38 on the front nine and a 44 on the back, finishing the afternoon alone in 21st place of 88 individuals.
Brett Reed of tiny Community Christian in Willmar stands in first place with an even-par 72.
Alwes started the competition with a sparkling five-hole series that included back-to-back birdies on the first two holes followed by three consecutive pars to put him atop the leaderboard at 2-under heading into the par-3 sixth hole. From there, he finished the front nine with a double-bogey, bogey, bogey, par.
On the back nine, Alwes needed 16 combined shots on the challenging 13th and 16th holes, which tainted what was actually a steady round of golf. He sandwiched two pars between a birdie on holes 10 through 12 before running into trouble on 13.
Undeterred, Alwes stroked a four on the par 5 14th hole to drop down to 4-over-par heading into No. 15.
Alwes will tee off for the second day of the event on Wednesday at 7:57 a.m. and start on the par 4 10th hole.
Khrystjan Petersen of Faribault Bethlehem Academy sits tied for sixth overall at plus-6.
As a team, Springfield leads the way with an accumulative total of plus-35 and stands five strokes ahead of Community Christian and 14 on top of third place Fertile-Beltrami.
Class AA roundup (Sand Creek)
Holy Family Catholic leads all teams with a plus-22 after the opening round while Rochester Lourdes senior Kyle Hickey stands atop the individual leaderboard with an even-par 72.
Red Wing of the Big Nine Conference sits in sixth place of eight teams.
Class AAA roundup (Bunker Hills)
The race for the individual title in the big school division appears to be heading toward an exciting finish as four players stand at minus-2 with four within two strokes of the leaders.
St. Thomas Academy leads the way at plus-9 and is followed directly by Edina and Waconia tied for second at plus-11.
Section 1-AAA champion, Lakeville South, ends Day 1 in eighth place at plus-27.
Class A state golf tournament (Pebble Creek)
Top 10 individual scores
1. Brett Reed, Community Christian, 36-36—72
2. Alex Iverson, Park Christian, 37-37—74
3. Mason Kretsch, Springfield, 39-36—75
4. Harrison Patzer, LCPV, 39-38—77
4. Maverick Winklemann, Springfield, 38-39—77
6. Khrystjan Petersen, FBA, 34-44—78
6. Logan Netzke, Sleepy Eye United, 40-38—78
6. Tyler Svare, Lake Park, 37-41—78
9. Kurt Lambert, Heritage Christian, 36-43—79
9. Sam Frazee, North Woods, 37-42—79
21. Kollyn Nowles, BP, 38-45—83
40. Andrew Heggen, USC, 47-40—87
67. Elliot Smith, FBA, 49-48—97
69. Willie Potter, FBA, 47-51—98
71. Brayden Larson, FBA, 46-53—99
71. Brody Pavel, FBA, 50-49—99
85. Ben Cohen, FBA, 55-51—106