OWATONNA — Officials say a shed is a total loss after it started on fire Thursday morning on a property southwest of Owatonna.
The shed — originally, but mistakenly reported as a chicken coop — was on a property located on the 6700 block of 8th Street Southwest. Korey Kamholz of the Owatonna Fire Department said firefighters were unable to determine an exact cause for the fire, but it is being ruled accidental.
“There was a wood-burning stove in the shed, but also some old electric lines. I’m not going to pin it on either one,” Kamholz said. “It was accidental, not in the nature that someone caused the accident, but it was not intentionally set. We can’t pinpoint what exactly was the ignition source.”
Kamholz said the fire, which caused no injuries, burned quickly through the shed, which had no sheet rock and was an open wood structure.
“It was just an old wooden structure with no tin on the roof. It was wood frame all the way through,” Kamholz said.
A steel shed directly north of the burning shed received no structural damage as a result of the fire. The only damage to that shed was to its paint, Kamholz said.
Firefighters didn’t encounter any hazards out of the ordinary while responding to the call. Kamholz said Gold Cross Ambulance was on scene as part of normal procedures to respond to the fire call. Units with the Steele County Sheriff’s Office were also on scene.
It was the second rural fire in less than a week that OFD had to respond to. On Monday, firefighters battled another rural fire northwest of Owatonna, where a home was damaged by a chimney fire. That fire, which occurred at 97th Avenue Northwest, also resulted in no injuries.
Reach reporter Al Strain at 444-2376 or follow him on Twitter.com@OPPalstrain