OWATONNA — The University of Minnesota Extension invites dairy producers and industry supporters to attend the Quad County Dairy Series March 14, 21, 28 at various locations. The Quad County Dairy Series, a program packed with informational and educational workshops aimed at successful dairying. This new program is a collaborative effort of Extension in Le Sueur, Rice, Scott and Steele Counties.
The series will be held on Thursdays in March including: March 14, 21 and 28. The program will start at 10 a.m. and end by 2:30 p.m. at each location. It is important to note that each location (New Prague, Owatonna and Webster) will host a different set of topics and speakers. The cost is $10 per person per location and lunch will be served.
Extension Educators in each of the host counties have secured timely and relevant topics to today’s dairy industry. Speakers include University of Minnesota dairy specialists who will speak on a variety of topics ranging from employee management to nutrition and automated milking systems to milk quality. The following includes location specifics and a detailed agenda.
Thursday, March 14 – 10 a.m.
State Bank of New Prague, 1101 1st Street SE, New Prague, MN 56071
Contact: Diane DeWitte, Extension Educator – email@example.com or 507-357-8230
• Forages and Feed Costs: Your Whole Farm Plan, Jim Paulson, Extension Dairy Educator.
• Tips to Turbo-Charging Rumen Fiber Digestion, Dr. Noah Litherland, State Dairy Specialist and Research Faculty.
• Replacement Cost Strategy to Maximize Profit, Jim Salfer, Extension Dairy Educator.
Thursday, March 21 – 10 a.m.
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 2365 43rd Street NW, Owatonna, MN 55060
Contact: Mike Donnelly, Extension Educator – firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-444-7691.
• Using Herd Records to Benchmark Herd SCC, Dr. Jeff Reneau, State Dairy Specialist and Research Faculty.
• Milk Quality: Why Consistency Matters and How am I Doing?, Dr. Jeff Reneau, State Dairy Specialist and Research Faculty.
• Achieving Better Dairy Cattle Immune Function through Nutrition, Dr. Noah Litherland, State Dairy Specialist and Research Faculty.
Thursday, March 28 – 10 a.m.
Ranchero Supper Club, 4452 40th Street W, Webster, MN 55088
Contact: Laura Kieser, Extension Educator – email@example.com or 952-492-5410
• Automated Milking Systems, Jim Salfer, Extension Dairy Educator.
• Strategies to Grow Bigger, Faster and Stronger Nursery Calves, Dr. Noah Litherland, State Dairy Specialist and Research Faculty.
• How to Get Away From the Farm – At Least Once in a While, Chuck Schwartau, Extension Dairy Educator.
The Quad County Dairy Series is sponsored in part by Bremer Bank, the Dairy Profitability Enhancement Program, Scott LeSueur ADA and the Steele County ADA in cooperation with University of Minnesota Extension. For more information and to view the full brochure, please visit http://z.umn.edu/dairy2013.
Dairy producers and others who are interested in attending are encouraged to pre-register to assist with meal count and handouts; however walk-ins will be welcomed. To pre-register, please call the Steele County Extension at 507-444-7685 or email Mike Donnelly at firstname.lastname@example.org.